You may have been attracted to the idea of adopting a mouse. Perhaps, you already have a few of these unique pets at home and are still wondering whether the food that you are providing them are just good enough for them to stay in top shape. Although it will only take up to about three years before a healthy mouse would have to live, owning one is still a great responsibility. One of the best ways to ensure that your pet mouse is always in good health, you need to make sure that the food that you offer to your pet is well-balanced as this will keep your pet healthy and will also help in its proper development.
Foods That Should NOT Be Given To A Pet Mouse
Not all foods are good for mice. There are foods that we generally consider as safe and healthy for humans that are actually not safe for your pet mouse. These include the following: acidic fruits like oranges and lemons, chocolate, peanuts, acidic vegetables like onions and garlic, as well as raw meat may trigger an allergic or adverse reaction when consumed by your pet mouse. The most common of these unacceptable effects are skin irritation and diarrhea.
Alcohol. Alcoholic drinks can cause death to mice.
Green Bananas. These fruits are said to inhibit starch-digesting enzymes, hence may cause indigestion to your pet.
Dried or Raw Beans. Well-cooked may be served to mice but never raw or dried beans as they contain hemagglutinin or lectin. This is a poisonous anti-nutrient that destroys vitamin A and enzymes that are needed to digest protein and starches and leads to clumping of red blood cells.
Toxic plants. There are several plant forms that are also dangerous to mice, such as the following: Amaryllis, Azalea, Christmas Rose, Chrysanthemum, Crocus, Cyclamen, Dieffenbachia, Geranium, Hyacinth, Hydrangea, Ivy, Lily of the Valley, Mistletoe, Narcissus, Plants in the Nightshade Family (leaves and stem contains toxic solanine), Oleander, Poinsettia, and Primrose. Tomato (green only, not fruit) is also noted to be toxic to mice.
Sticky foods, especially those are made to be rather thick, such as peanut butter, is a choking hazard. If you need or would like to offer peanut butter or similar food items to your pet, make sure that you watch your pet while it is eating. You also need to make sure that you serve only a very small portion any time and with water or liquid.
Fluorinated and/or Chlorinated Water
Treated water can cause brain damage in mice, which means you can only give filtered tap water or non-fluorinated bottled water to your pet.
Spoiled or old food. These foods contain toxic bacteria that may cause an upset stomach, even death.
Though mice are quite easy to deal with and to care for, they still have specific dietary requirements that you need to meet to ensure that your pet/s will leave even beyond their average lifespan. Make sure that you provide only those foods that will address your pet’s health requirements. Read More